I joined the Wattpad writing platform in 2018 after attending a Redwell Writers meeting where guest speaker Simon K Jones was extolling its features and spoke of how he had serialised one of his books there.
So, I started using the platform and currently have the following stories uploaded to my account there:
- Wisdom of the Ancients - This was my entry for the WattPad/National Geographic "Planet Or Plastic" competition back in late 2018. It reached their Top 10 Submissions which, given that there appeared to be well over 5000 entries, was a very pleasant surprise! Since May 2020 it has regularly been in the top 5 of Wattpad's Science Fiction category, often peaking at #1.
- The Gingerbread Cake Incident - 'Rewrite a fairy tale' was the theme of a writing group exercise from about 6 years ago. The Gingerbread Cake Incident was the result!
- Criminal One - Written very quickly for the ScienceFiction May 2022 contest, it achieved third place in the results, which wasn't bad for a story that went from nothing to completed, uploaded and submitted (including the gory cover) in three hours!
- Sometimes, Spheres Don't Come Back - This is set in the same universe as my Eight Excerpts story, though at least a couple of hundred years later. It was submitted to the ScienceFiction April 2022 contest and came first!
- A Big Belt Between The Eyes - This was written in response to the October 2021 Science Fiction challenge from @ScienceFiction and was inspired by the "throw rocks at them" theme from Robert Heinlein's novel, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
- Eight Excerpts From A Secret Inter-Dimensional War - This story was originally published in a magazine called The Hub in their Winter 2007 edition.
- A Fresh Start - This was written in response to a "New Beginnings or a Fresh Start" theme suggested in the writing group to which I belong. Of course, this isn't quite the start Geoffrey had been expecting!
- Ronald The Not So Mad Scientist - Written for a Christmas theme, this has the main protagonist searching for a bit of peace and quiet amongst the Christmas mayhem.
- Time Portals of Norwich - Only the first few chapters of my novel, which can be purchased here, are now available on Wattpad.
- Splinters - This was the novel I first started serialising on Wattpad. After feedback from various people, improvements were made to the text which were incorporated into the printed and ebook versions. The Wattpad version lacks these changes, which is why it's still uploaded in its entirety. The novel itself can be purchased here.
- Absolute Bollocks - This provocatively titled piece came from a themed exercise that used Richard Dadd's painting, The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke, as its inspiration.
- The Sweeper - An exercise in telling one story but implying something far greater? And in less than 300 words as well! A shorter version of this story won a Facebook-based competition back in 2012.
- Memories are made of... ? - What is a memory? Is it something tangible? Something that can be dissected and analysed? This story was inspired by a theme set by a member of the Redwell Writers group.
- Bugger the Consequences - This story was entered for and ended up winning a "What Apocalypse" competition for the most bizarre apocalypse story on Wattpad!
- Famished - or something like that - Another story resulting from a writing group challenge - this time to write a story about food. You might not want to be eating while reading this
- The Lost Present - This story came about from an "instant" writing exercise - all I was given was the title of "The Lost Present" and had to write something immediately. I think the person who gave me that title thought I was going to write about someone losing a birthday or Christmas present. I didn't do that at all...
- Sunset - Another contest submission that ended up winning. This time it was for Science Fiction's January 2020 short story challenge.
- Internet Viruses: There's Worse To Come - This one was inspired by a single sentence: "God sent me an illness." Only, for the story, I changed "God" to "George", which changed the meaning considerably!
- Shrinkage - This was entered for the SciFi Competitions and Challenges April 2019 challenge and got an honourable mention. The story was originally the result of a friend trying to catch me out by challenging me to write an 'instant' tale given the Character, Scene and Conflict that she had devised.